W4H Sticky

W4H - 2nd Anniversary of the 470 Amateur Radio Group
Start Date: November 1, 2009
End Date: November 15, 2009
Frequencies:Voice - 24.450, 14.260, 7.260, 3.860
PSK31 - 14.070, 7.070.
QSL Info: Note the amateur's name and send QSL to the call that is working the W4H event. For example if you work me as W4H I will also give you my home call and tell you to QSL to me AJ4IJ.
More Info: The 470 Amateur Radio Group website

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back to the General Test

I never thought I would have to re-study the General test. I knew that if my daughter, Ashby (KE4EGJ) was going to test up, it probably wouldn't be any time soon. I'd been bugging her about it, put her on 10m to call CQ, and even let her talk third-party to the recent Nautilus special event on 20m, but I still never thought she would test up so soon. This is not to say that I didn't want her to, because I did. But I'm just as surprised as others that she knows from 2m that she's going to try to test up so young.

But I have all the faith in the world that she will pass. She's shooting for this Saturday, and we've been studying every night. She catches on quick, remembers most of it without a problem, we're already halfway through the question pool. We started studying on Monday!

When she comes home from school today, we'll be jumping right into it... provided the teachers haven't piled on the homework. It's just the first week of school and she already has journal assignments and an oral essay project due. I really think she's shooting for this Saturday because she meant to study over the summer, and she just got so caught up in summer time activities that she never did do it. Now, she's wanting to get it out of the way before the homework starts rolling in.

But -- I just wanted to mention that she has had a hard time with the General class book. The terminology and verbiage is just not made for someone of her age. So I found this - The No-Nonsense, General Class License Study Guide. Oh, this has helped her a lot!! I highly recommend it, and send out my thanks to KB6NU, Dan Romanchik, for putting it all together! My soon-to-be 12-year-old thanks you much!


My soon-to-be General Class Baby!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Robin--

I love reading stories like this. I'm glad that I could help.

73, Dan KB6NU

Scavenger Hunt Sticky

Thanks to all for helping me with the Scavenger Hunt!